Pam’s Favorite Kitchen Musts

Make Life Easy with these Kitchen Tools

So, my husband and I have been married 44 years.  We have gone through some pots and pans.  A few years ago, on the upswing of small kitchen appliances, I started building my new way of cooking with tools/gadgets that take the ERK out of WERK (work).  Here are a few of my favs.  (I do not make any money from these links - just sharing what I have found.).

Making SMALL pieces out of BIG PIECES

I have rheumatoid arthritis so my time hacking away with a knife at something is very limited.  Therefore, I recommend the following:

https://www.amazon.com/Geedel-Chopper-Manual-Dishwasher-Vegetables/dp/B07SFCQJ7C/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=Food+chopper&qid=1585668624&sr=8-6

I remove that black piece at the bottom and instead chop everything on a paper plate that can be tossed.  You will NEVER chop an onion as finely as this little hand pump gadget can.  I have found cheaper ones than this so you might look around a bit.

Also, I keep one of these handy at all times - same comment - the finest chopping possible without turning it into juice.




I HAVE electric food processors, junior Ninja products, etc.  I don’t like having to bother with cords and clean up.  These go in the dishwasher and are easy to store.  Perfect for one onion, couple of carrots, or the “just enough” amount of veggies for one recipe.  My family LOVES my “tiny chop” salads - they will eat things they normally pick out because the pieces are so tiny.

Now, one of my favs.  Immersion blenders are all over the place in price.  Look at the WATTS it pulls, not all the cups, bowls, attachments.  This is a medium priced/medium wattage one.  I do not use ANY of the attachments with mine.  I want it so that I can quickly immerse it in a pot/bowl I am ALREADY using (no extra clean up).  No using a ladle to more food from one pot to a food processor or blender - just thinking about that clean up makes me cry.




https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-Smart-Stick-Variable-Blender/dp/B08122VFYM/ref=sr_1_17?crid=3MMF6AXBEEQ4G&dchild=1&keywords=immersion+blender&qid=1585669720&sprefix=Imm%2Caps%2C700&sr=8-17

Now a mandoline - not mandolin - unless you need to play music while you cook.  This kind:


https://www.amazon.com/Gourmia-GMS9105-Adjustable-Stainless-Dial-Style/dp/B01MDUMPES/ref=sr_1_22_sspa?crid=1E978YXPMYZH3&dchild=1&keywords=mandoline+slicer&qid=1585670219&sprefix=Mandoli%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-22-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFUV1A1QUxWWDRKRSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRJZD1BMDQ3NDc1MUFZMzhWSTRBNjc3WiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDQzNjMyM1ZIREs5TDVUTk05NiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

These are all over the place in price as well.  I like one WITHOUT a “box” underneath. I like to be able to hook this thing over the side of a pot and slice directly into pot.  You can get some with attachments but I only use the slicer.  You CANNOT cut a potato as thin as this gadget does.  Shop around and you will find one you like.  DISCLAIMER:  THIS WILL CUT YOU.  Like take a finger off.  See that little black “hat” looking-thing?  It will save your life.  NEVER, ever use your hand to slice - always use little hat.  And store it somewhere so that no one accidentally runs their hand across it.  Blood I tell you.  It will look like you killed hogs in the kitchen!!

I am NOT encouraging anyone to buy something that stretches you financially.  Food will taste the same with or without these tools.  However, if it improves your efficiency in the kitchen and allows you to turn a 30 minute prep into a 10 minute prep then it might be worth the investment.

We will move on to Instant Pots, Sous Vie, indoor grills, toaster-type ovens, rice cookers, Ninja cookers and so forth.  I will not talk about slow cookers - I have a NEED for SPEED!

If you order from Amazon, spray the box(es) on your porch with disinfectant BEFORE you touch it.  Then open it OUTSIDE, discard box, and hit the hand sanitizer HARD.

Comments

Best Loved