Chili – Or is it?

Chili – Or is it?  

I am a little spunky today so I thought I could handle an extremely controversial issue.  Politics, you ask.  No. Religion, you ask?  No.  More personal than both of those … how to make c h i l i.  First, we have to ask ourselves, what is chili?  I did some searching (if you are interested visit here: https://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Chili/ChiliHistory.htm). You will see that the origins of this particular food are as varied as the way you make it.  I have an absolute firm rule that I never break:  I never, ever order chili at a restaurant. I made this rules after trying it for years and realizing it can taste like anything from a lemon pie to the rear end of road kill. We do not eat out very often and I am NOT rolling the dice on some wonky version of a bowl of chili.  

The history of chili is filled with many idiocies, even preachers declaring it is the “Soup of the Devil” claiming the food is almost as “hot as hell’s brimstone” (https://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Chili/ChiliHistory.htm).  Many cities lay claim to fame regarding their own version of this famous food. Ron White (comedian) does a bit on Cincinnati chili that makes me laugh so very hard. Basically, people’s preferences are very specific with what they like their chili to taste like.  Here you will find my own version – absent all the things I refuse to add (brown sugar, fish sauce, kidney beans, black beans, corn, beef broth, goat meat, deer meat, other wild meats …) and inclusive of all my absolute “musts” (tomato juice, pinto beans, and, well, you will see the list below). 

Way back in March I did a “cheating” version of chili that was totally can-based.  However, tonight at my house we are having my homemade Instant Pot chili.  You do not have to have an Instant Pot for this recipe to work, but it does force the flavors into themselves in a quick timeframe and without losing ANY flavor to steam.  Also, the IP has a “keep warm” setting that is a guilt-free, walk-away feature that keeps the flavors doing their thing as I prepare other foods.

Chili – Or is it?

1.5 – 2 lbs hamburger meat 
1 large onion, diced
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1 or more large can/jar tomato juice
2 cups or more cooked pinto beans (can sub 2 cans) – must put all beans in colander and
        RINSE with water – do not add “bean soup” to the chili 
2-3 T chili powder (you know by now that I do not measure anything – so add more or less
        depending on your preferences – I have no idea how much I actually use!)
1 T garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
Cayenne pepper – to taste – start with a few shakes (the container, not you) 
2 (or more) teaspoons Emeril’s Essence:  Southwest — this has the cumin and other
        Mexican-type flavors that give this some authenticity flavor-wise.
1 teaspoon Hershey’s cocoa powder.  Not a typo.  Yes, I mean this.  Yes, it makes a
         difference.  It adds depth to the flavor.  Took me years to even TRY this and risk
         ruining a pot.Tried it.  It works.  Do not stop trusting me now!  
Salt to taste 

How-to:  (This is written for Instant Pot – adjust if you are using a Dutch oven on top of stove.)

1.    Brown hamburger meat using Sauté setting. 
2.    Drain meat in colander and return to pot. 
3.    Add diced onion.  
4.    Add diced tomatoes.
5.    Add crushed tomatoes.
6.    Add large can/jar tomato juice.  (If you leave this out, then you better add more liquid – either beef broth, or beer or even red wine, but it will NOT do well in Instant Pot without this critical liquid.)
7.    Add all spices:  chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, Emeril’s Southwest Essence, cocoa powder, salt.  
8.    Stir well and set for 10 minutes on high power.  
9.    Allow slow release.
10. NOW, you can stir in the drained, rinsed, cooked pinto beans (or beans of your choice – I am not your boss!).  
11. Too thick?  Add more juice/liquid — too thin?  Add more beans; add masa. 
12. Sauté until heated throughout and then put on “keep warm,” put the lid on and get the fixings ready!

Now, I am not going to talk you through eating chili from a bowl (I know you appreciate that), but I am going to tell you that I almost NEVER eat chili that way.  I love my version of a “taco salad” – it has nothing to do with tacos and everything to do with chili.

I break iceberg lettuce up on a plate — cover it with chili and add topping until I am pleased with the effect.  
Ø  Shredded cheddar cheese (could be Jack cheese)
Ø  Jalapeños (sliced)
Ø  Green onions
Ø  Salsa
Ø  Sour Cream 
Ø  Tostitos Cantina Thin and Crispy 
Ø  Queso blanco 

Yes, that’s it.  We call this chili and I call it delicious.  I will never enter a cook-off or competition where someone might burst my bubble of satisfaction over the result this recipe gives me.  I might learn at some point to perfect this in some way – I am open to that, but until then I will savor what we call “chili” – for sure not traditional, authentic to Mexico or Texas, and deeply influenced by my southern tongue. Sometimes you just have to take a stand.  Defend your stand and let yourself be the target for those who really need to take some pot shots (get that pun??) at someone.  You do you.  Without apology or regret. You might find that your version of life is pretty tasty! 





Comments

Best Loved